Everyone knows that one isn’t supposed to heat metal in a microwave. And that includes tinfoil.
But I was hungry, and the shawarma was totally wrapped in aluminum foil, so hunger + laziness + a moment of blonde clarity = epiphany: maybe it’s okay if I completely cover the tinfoiled sandwich with paper towels!
In two seconds, the paper bag and tissues covering the sandwich burst into flames. I panicked, opened the microwave, took the burning mess out and tossed it into the sink. I was so anxious that the smoke would trigger the alarms and the sprinklers that I nearly had heart palpitations while cleaning up the ashes.
After I calmed down properly, I ate the sandwich.
And that was how I nearly burned the department before 10:00 am. Thinking back, that wouldn’t have been such a tragedy.